Saturday 9 April 2011

Encouraging the Heart

A week ago I went zip-lining on Maui. I almost missed this opportunity because I was terrorized at the thought that hurtling oneself, suspended from a thin steel cable 700 feet above Mother Earth could be considered fun?
    
Me: "No. I can't. There's no way that thing can support me. I'm not strong enough. I'm too fat." 
Ashley: "C'mon Mom, it'll be fun, you'll love it. Do one thing that scares you." 

Curses. What if she was right? Ashley seemed convinced that I could do this. The coach was being coached and asked to stretch, something I request, nay, expect of my clients. It was time for me to practice what I value. So, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, adorned with helmet and harness I leapt off the first of four platforms. The experience was exhilarating and freeing.


"My name is Teresa and I'm a zip-line junkie."
Piiholo Ranch, Makawao, Maui
April 3, 2011

When you believe in another person, the way that Ashley did in me, it instils courage and a sense of excitement. One of my favorite books "The Leadership Challenge," suggests that "Fostering self-confidence is not a warmed-over version of the power of positive thinking. By communicating to constituents that we believe that we and they can be successful, leaders help people to extend themselves and to persevere" (Kouzes & Posner, 2002, p. 298).

Thought Challenge: Think of a time when someone really believed in you. How did you feel? What did that do for your self-confidence? How have you encouraged others? What is one thing that you can do to show your faith in someone close to you?

Zippity-do-dah!
Ashley at the Piiholo Ranch, Makawao, Maui
April 3, 2011
"Thank you" Ashley for demonstrating great leadership and encouraging my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jump in and lend your voice to The Art