Sunday 4 September 2011

Sunday Space: No Regrets


"Road to No Regret": Phillipe Sainte-Laudy

I am quickly approaching my fiftieth year and I seem to be even more introspective than usual. Never mind that every chronological milestone is now overshadowed by the events of "9/11" also known as September 11th or MY birthday. However, birthdays, especially double-digit changeovers, provide us with an opportunity to take stock on where we're at in life, to examine the triumphs, obstacles and experiences that got us to right now.


Image via Pinterest

More to the point, I have been thinking about what it means to live a life without regret. Every now and then I find myself criticizing or judging myself for the choices and actions I have taken in my life, engaging in the language of "shoulda", "coulda", and "woulda". Ugh...just writing those words has a deflating effect.


Photo via Flickr

Today, in honour of my up and coming birthday, I am taking note of the defining moments from the past 10 years. My successes, challenges, and stuff yet to be discovered. I will be asking myself "what have I learned and how I have changed as a result?", and then I'm going to start defining what the next 10 years of a life without regret will look like.

Thought Challenge: So, tell me...what does it mean to you to live a life fulfilled? How will you accept all that you have been and done? What does it take to live a life without regret? How will you know?


Image via 2photo.ru

1 comment:

  1. ~Still working on those profund questions as I hurtle towards my .......60th birthday. I seem to be 'unknowing' everything that I considered to be positive and fulfilling 10 yrs ago. All that has been turned completely upside down. Hope i can answer those questions in the next 10 yrs. Its a strange process growing older + you suddenly cross a line and all you thought you 'knew' and understood just is no longer valid. No-one warns or advises you. It just happens!! Its not all bad but you need to re learn and re-establish what drives and motivates. Regrets? Not really.....but to be fulfilled is the key. Without fulfillment at a deep level there is no peace. Without peace there is no joy....
    OK enough for now. More reflections to follow soon.
    O and 'happy birthday' x

    ReplyDelete

Jump in and lend your voice to The Art